top of page

Serving the Deaf Community since 1885

Connect with us

blue grunge.png

1885

First MAD convention held at Minnesota School for the Deaf

 

The Association’s first President was Dr. J. L. Smith. Other officers were First Vice President, W. E. Dean, O. Hanson, and Treasurer, O. Gunderson.

Our History

Minnesota Association of Deaf Citizens (MADC) was established in 1885, and is a non-profit, 501(c)(4) organization. MADC advocates for and promotes a better quality of life and social wellness of Deaf people through its membership, activities and advocacy.

MADC is run by a Board of Directors that is elected every two or four years at MADC's biennial conference.

 

MADC was organized at the first reunion held at the Minnesota State Academy for the Deaf in Faribault on June 24-26, 1885. It was incorporated under the laws of Minnesota in June 1906. MADC was the first of the states to affiliate with the National Association of the Deaf (NAD) at its biennial convention in Moorhead on August 3, 1957. The name of the Minnesota Association of the Deaf was changed to Minnesota Association of Deaf Citizens, Inc., at its convention in Pengilly, Minnesota in July 1977. In August 1985, MADC celebrated its Centennial on the campus of the Minnesota State Academy for the Deaf. The Centennial convention was an important event and the most interesting one in the long history of MADC.

MADC Board

Dedication. Expertise. Passion.

blue grunge.png

SUBSCRIBE WITH MADC

Thanks for submitting!

bottom of page